Friday, January 23, 2009

#17 Hawke's Bay

The charming seaside town of Napier.


Napier was destroyed by an earthquake in 1931 and was rebuilt almost entirely in art deco style. I didn't get pictures of the downtown area, but I'm going back soon. It's only 2.5 hours from Taupo.
Statue of Pania
The red blossomed tree in the background is a Pōhutukawa, aka New Zealand Christmas Tree. The flowers are in full bloom in late December.

That night I went to Black Barn Winery to see the movie Death at a Funeral (funny!). The winery has an open air theater with terrace seating.




The next day I went to Hawke's bay to do a wine tasting bicycle tour. This was super fun, but it would have been better if I hadn't been by myself (what a loser!).

I soon realized that, somewhere between the red wine and the darkness, I had lost my camera at the movie the night before. I was so mad at myself that I couldn't enjoy myself anymore. The weather had turned rainy anyway, so I left a day early. I drove home in tears like big baby. A couple weeks later the winery found my camera and mailed it to me (thank you, Black Barn Winery!) As a token of my thanks, I'm going back for a concert next month to spend more money.

No comments: