Thursday, March 19, 2009

#21 Hawke's Bay II

I went back to Hawke's Bay for a concert that I got tickets for back in January. Simon and I both got work off and I booked a campsite because it's cheaper and more fun to camp anyway. Once the day came it was pouring rain, naturally. The campsite was completely flooded so we found some elevated ground under two big pine trees. It took a while to set up the tent, not only because of the rain but because the wind kept blowing it away. I tried to get gumboots at The Warehouse, but not a single pair was left! Jerks.

We put on as much rain gear as possible and brought a tarp to use as a canopy.
Other concert-goers were much more experienced than us and had an entire shelter set up involving umbrellas, chairs, and tarps. The show was at a winery, so I picked up a bottle of wine and we ate cheese and crackers under the leaky tarp.

Knock knock.


When the show started we stopped trying to stay dry (we had failed anyway) and stood in the rain to watch. I have never been so soaking wet for so long at one time. When we got back to camp the inside of the tent was still dry. Amazing.

It was supposed to storm through Sunday, but the rain stopped sometime in the night and Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day. We met Lawrance and went to the aquarium, where I saw my first kiwi, which was way cooler than I thought I would be. They are funny birds. They don't seem too bright. They dig for bugs. Then run back and forth. Then dig, run, dig, run. No wonder they're endangered.
Lawrance & Simon being their charming selves. They, too, will be endangered soon for the same reasons as the kiwi.
Coast of Cape Kidnappers.

Trees living on the edge

Say hello to my little friend
At the point of the cape there is a gannett bird colony, which is why most people walk out there. But the walk got boring and I'm not into birds anyway, so we turned back early. I took off my shoes for the last part of the walk and proceeded to immediately step on a wasp stinger.
My new weight loss program.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Jenna, Hey! What an adventure with the rain. You are a trooper. I love looking at your pictures. So amazing and gorgeous there. So sad about the wasp! Nathan says hi!