Sunday, November 9, 2008

#7 Rafting

Mary, my roommate from SB, told me that her best friend was coming to NZ on vacation from Austin. Her name is Allison and she stayed with me for a few days. We drove to Rotorua to go white water rafting on the Kaituna river. The river is surrounded by high rock walls and lush tropical plants. The scenery was incredible. It felt like we were going through the rainforest. The trip was classified as a grade 5 and included a 7 meter waterfall.


Our boat flipped while going down the waterfall. (I think it was just one of those weeks. A couple days before I had gone mountain biking and crashed into a tree.) I got stuck under the raft and that was really scary. It was the closest I've ever come to feeling like I would drown. Overall the trip was super fun. There is some grade 3 rafting near Taupo that is a much longer ride. It lasts for a few hours as opposed to the Kaituna trip which was only 45 min. I definitely want to go on the longer rafting trip.

3 comments:

Kate said...

jbake.. you are by far the most composed of the bunch. look at that smile! But I am not surprised, you're a trooper

kasie said...

holy crap those pictures are awesome! man it looks like your having tons of fun!

Unknown said...

Hey Jenna....glad to see your still alive, ha ha, some incredible pics