Sunday, November 9, 2008

#8 Caves

After getting worked on the Kaituna, Allison and I tried our luck in Waitomo. Waitomo is known for its extensive underground system of glow worm caves. We did a black water rafting tour, which entails floating through the caves on inner tubes. We went into the Ruakuri cave, which is 1.6 km long.

Glow worms don't actually exist, that's just a euphemism. The creatures aren't worms, but immature flies. And they don't glow, but their feces do. In other words, we were admiring fluorescent maggot shit. But we can stick with glow worms.
I've never had an experience like this. Just being underground in a cave was awesome, but floating down the river on an inner tube with glow worms on the ceiling made it even more extraordinary. We held on to each other's tubes and turned off our head lamps to get a better view of the glow worms. It was so incredibly dark you couldn't see your own hand in front of your face.
Allison & I were the only homosexual couple.

Practicing.

More practicing. This is how we got down the waterfall in the cave. Nothing like the Kaituna waterfall. I was actually good at this as you can see.

Not our actual tour, but this is exactly what it looked like.
Our group in the cave.

Peacocks wandered the parking lot.
More pictures from around Waitomo.

Everything is green. Even rocks.
Allision admiring (talking to?) a koru, the spiral at the end of a fern.

I love this picture.
The end.

3 comments:

Kate said...

WOW! Sounds unbelievable!!! About the job thing... do you really have one? I totally agree with Vanessa - you should be a travel blogger!

grandmamoses said...

Double wow! I am so impressed with all the neat stuff you are doing.
The blog is great and you are good at it.
Grandma

Unknown said...

Hey, send me a couple of the fern trees. There so beautiful and I would like to plant them in my front yard. I hope your mouth was closed when you were looking up at the "glow worms" in the cave..........so cool