Tuesday, March 31, 2009

#26 Kaikoura (Dolphins)

Good morning, Kaikoura


I swam with dusky dolphins in Kaikoura. This particular breed are known for their acrobatics. We found a large pod and hopped in. Looking down into the water I could see them swimming beneath me 4 layers deep. They dart by super fast and come really close. We weren't allowed to touch them because they are completely wild, but they were so close they were within reach. Then they would take off and everyone would climb back on the boat and we'd go find some more and jump in again. We did this 5 or 6 times. When you're in the water, they are more likely to come check you out if you dive under the water and make sounds into your snorkel. We were pretty much supposed to act like dolphins. After swimming we watched them for a while from the bow. It may have been the most pictures I've ever taken in one sitting. There were hundreds of them all around the boat. They were going wild, jumping around like wild banshees and doing somersaults. Sometimes a group would jump together in perfect unison. It was like a dolphin circus. Swimming with them and watching them was absolutely magical. I can't get the videos to upload but I will try later.

Faster than a speeding dolphin









Synchronized swimming


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Jenna!! That is AMAZING!!! So gorgeous. I would love love to do that. I am so glad you are getting to do so many exciting things. Thanks for posting. So fun to read!

Devo said...

uh wow?